Zinc Oxide is one of the key ingredients in sunscreen formulations. It is known for its superior sun protection capabilities and preventing skin damage. In fact, it is the safest and most effective ingredient that protects the skin against long wave UVA rays.
Benefits of zinc oxide for skin
- Zinc oxide provides superior protection against UVB, long wave UVA and short wave UVA radiation. In fact, it is the only ingredient that protects against all three types of radiation.
- Zinc oxide help to heal wounds. It helps with bed sores, skin ulcers, surgical incisions, sun burns and other skin irritations.
- The body requires zinc for the synthesis of collagen, which is consequently responsible for the healing of wounds. Zinc is also required by the body for the proper functioning of enzymes that further work to repair wounds.
- Astringents are chemical substances that shrink the skin cells and tighten the body tissues. Zinc oxide also has subtle astringent properties and acts as a skin-drying agent. It controls inflammations and relieves the skin against irritations and rashes.
- Zinc also helps to heal acne blemishes, reduce inflammations and control the androgenic hormonal effects on skin that contribute to acne breakouts.
Sunscreens are a vital ingredient in our skin care regimens. In fact, enough has been said already about why and how we need to apply sunscreens every day no matter what time of the year it is. Efficient sun protection comes from using efficient sunscreens, which are comprised of effective 'sun-screening' ingredients.